realthailand

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Hua Hin Jazz Fest -- hotel staff steal guest valuables, refuse to cooperate in contacting police

Seems obvious to me that this was an inside job, and probably a series of inside jobs across Hua Hin during the recent 'jazz fest'. What really makes my blood boil is the typical asshole attitude of the Thai hotel staff, all too common, actively obstructing the guest's attempt to file the necessary police report concerning the theft in his room. There was absolutely no valid reason or excuse for that. I certainly wish the name of the hotel were given.

Unfortunately, this kind of outrageous behaviour is all too common and likely to become a part of your holiday if you visit Thailand. I don't agree with the poster that this scenario would have played out differently had he stayed at pricer digs such as the Sofitel, for example.

from today's letters to the Nation:

Mysterious hotel thefts spoil Hua Hin's image

Last weekend, I made my way down to Hua Hin to enjoy the annual jazz festival. I stayed at a hotel just opposite the Sofitel Hua Hin, which was ideal because of its central location and vicinity to the beach.

On Saturday night, my room was broken into and my camera bag, containing a camera body and four lenses, and my PDA phone and charger were stolen. I woke up on Sunday morning to find them gone and my room door closed, but unlocked and unchained. There were no signs of a break-in.

I reported immediately to the reception staff, who were unwilling to make a police report on my behalf. They said they did not get involved in such cases because they are not sure whether their guests actually lost the items from their rooms. They also did not have the phone number of the police station! The management was not helpful at all and did not want to take any responsibility. I was appalled by how they tried to wash their hands of any responsibility and distance themselves from me.

When I went to make a report at the police station, I was surprised to find that all around Hua Hin there were many people who had had their rooms broken into and lost phones, laptops, PDAs and cameras. The police were very helpful, collecting all the relevant information and then coming to the hotel to take pictures, inspect the room and speak to the hotel staff. I have to compliment the staff at Hua Hin Police Station for being very helpful and doing the best that they could.

I hope the Hua Hin authorities apprehend the people behind these robberies. They are not good for the town's reputation as a quiet, cosy and pristine seaside getaway. Also, please be careful where you stay the next time you are in Hua Hin. I would definitely recommend staying in a reputable place with proper security.

Disgruntled Jazz Fan

Bangkok